Saturday, August 05, 2006

Where does healing occur?

I recently moved and was tense about having help to do it. I realized that if I was tense, I was probably creating tension in others that were going to help. I did my work in creating good feeling thoughts about moving and about five minutes later my sister called. She said she had been worried about the move, but had just decided everything would be alright. One of the good feeling thoughts I had was about helpers being like "ants at a picnic." From an initial two young women, at the time of the move I ended up with four strong guys and the two young women. They formed a chain to get my stuff through the elevator and upstairs to my new apartment -- much like ants at a picnic! I realized how much what I feel affects others.

The following article about Ho'oponopono is about how healing and loving ourselves is also healing for others. It reminds me of a workshop on healing relationships I attended several years ago led by Michael Ryce at Heartland. Basically, Michael's message is that we heal in the presence of love. I also think of Ghandi saying "be the peace you wish to see in the world." As Abraham is saying, we are in control of our experience.

I appreciate some of the concepts in Joe Vitale's article and will include what feels good to me. The complete article is on Jeremiah's web site.

I think basically our task is to love ourselves and when we are not feeling love for others, it can be a reflection of something we hold inside ourselves. So, I offer this article as another technique and idea to soothe, comfort and love ourselves. It is especially useful if there is a situation or relationship that feels stuck or "in your face" and shows how we can affect others in our experience even when we don't directly focus our thinking on them.

May you walk in beauty...

Suzanne

From Jeremiah's Blog:

This is an article that may help some of you understand that we don't fix or heal anything out there. It is all in us. There is no out there....

The only place healing the world occurs is inside of us....My point is, there really is only one of Us.

Blessed Be,

Jeremiah

HO'OPONOPONO

by Joe Vitale

“Two years ago, I heard about a therapist in Hawaii who cured a complete ward of criminally insane patients–without ever seeing any of them. The psychologist would study an inmate's chart and then look within himself to see how he created that person's illness. As he improved himself, the patient improved.

“When I first heard this story, I thought it was an urban legend. How could anyone heal anyone else by healing himself? How could even the best self-improvement master cure the criminally insane? It didn't make any sense. It wasn't logical, so I dismissed the story.

“However, I heard it again a year later. I heard that the therapist had used a Hawaiian healing process called ho 'oponopono..... His name is Dr. Ihaleakala Hew Len. We probably spent an hour talking on our first phone call. I asked him to tell me the complete story of his work as a therapist.

He explained that he worked at Hawaii State Hospital for four years.

That ward where they kept the criminally insane was dangerous.

Psychologists quit on a monthly basis. The staff called in sick a lot or simply quit. People would walk through that ward with their backs against the wall, afraid of being attacked by patients. It was not a pleasant place to live, work, or visit.

“Dr. Len told me that he never saw patients. He agreed to have an office and to review their files. While he looked at those files, he would work on himself. As he worked on himself, patients began to heal.

“'After a few months, patients that had to be shackled were being allowed to walk freely,' he told me. 'Others who had to be heavily medicated were getting off their medications. And those who had no chance of ever being released were being freed.' I was in awe. ‘Not only that,' he went on, 'but the staff began to enjoy coming to work.

Absenteeism and turnover disappeared. We ended up with more staff than we needed because patients were being released, and all the staff was showing up to work. Today, that ward is closed.'

“This is where I had to ask the million dollar question: 'What were you doing within yourself that caused those people to change?'

“'I was simply healing the part of me that created them,' he said. I didn't understand. Dr. Len explained ....[I]n a literal sense the entire world is your creation.

....as I spoke with Dr. Len, I began to realize that healing for him and in ho 'oponopono means loving yourself.

....

“I asked Dr. Len how he went about healing himself. What was he doing, exactly, when he looked at those patients' files?

“'I just kept saying, 'I'm sorry' and 'I love you' over and over again,' he explained.

“That's it?

“That's it.

“Turns out that loving yourself is the greatest way to improve yourself, and as you improve yourself, you improve your world.

“Let me give you a quick example of how this works: one day, someone sent me an email that upset me. In the past I would have handled it by working on my emotional hot buttons or by trying to reason with the person who sent the nasty message.

“This time, I decided to try Dr. Len's method. I kept silently saying, 'I'm sorry' and 'I love you,' I didn't say it to anyone in particular. I was simply evoking the spirit of love to heal within me what was creating the outer circumstance.

“Within an hour I got an e-mail from the same person. He apologized for his previous message. Keep in mind that I didn't take any outward action to get that apology. I didn't even write him back. Yet, by saying 'I love you,' I somehow healed within me what was creating him.

“I later attended a ho 'oponopono workshop run by Dr. Len. He's now 70 years old, considered a grandfatherly shaman, and is somewhat reclusive.

....

“Suffice It to say that whenever you want to improve anything in your life, there's only one place to look: inside you. When you look, do it with love.”
*********************************************************************************
Ho'oponopono ("to make right")is a universal "conflict resolution/healing" method from Hawaii.

I just Googled for a source of the article by Joe Vitale, but wasn't able to find it. Perhaps this is something he has written to market his book, The Attractor Factor. Several people had the article posted without noting the source. For more information, I suggest Googling Ho'oponopono and/or Joe Vitale

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home