Wednesday, June 13, 2007

The light you shine inspires others

I ran across a card sent years ago from a friend -- a sweet note about their visit to Boston Harbor and whale watching. On the front of the card is a picture of the boats in the harbor and this quote by John Augustus Shedd:

A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.

~John A. Shedd, Salt from my Attic, 1928

I really enjoyed the quote and Googled it for more information. I saw that it has inspired and motivated bloggers and businessmen to take the risk to live their lives more fully.

The entry for John Shedd's quote in Wikiquote is short: In 1928 he wrote "Salt from My Attic" whose 500 copies were made on aurelian paper, privately printed for John A. Shedd...distributed in the month of August 1928.

Privately printed, perhaps for his own pleasure and for his friends, and yet his influence is timeless and touches me today.

You just never know where the light you shine will reach.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home